Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sew you think you can sew...

During the spring I told one of the teens I would help her make a dress if she wanted to learn how to sew. She had had difficulty finding a modest church dress. We waited for a big sale and she was able to purchase two patterns for .99 cents each...regularly $16 each! :) She also found some fabric she really liked during the same shopping trip.
The teacher in me just couldn't resist giving her a little "homework" so she could familiarize herself with patterns, pattern guidesheets, symbols/markings, etc. From then on it was a hands-on approach. It took three half-days of work, but the end result was worth it...

I sent her home with a few odds and ends of handsewing left to do, but basically the dress is done. She still needs to finish the hem, tack down the bodice lining, and attach the hook and eye.

Hannah was a great student and was willing to work hard. She did the majority of the sewing, serging (yes, she was brave enough to use the serger too!), and even put in her first zipper...an invisible zipper at that!! The next time she uses this pattern it will take her half the time and she'll have exactly what she wants.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?