Thursday, November 12, 2009

Cough. Cough. Wheeze. Wheeze.

The moment many of you have been waiting for....
Here's my sister's fool-proof homemade cough syrup
{free of preservaties, dyes, and anything but natural ingredients!!}

It's technically "Annette's" recipe, but I'm still trying to figure out who she is... When that happens I'll be sure and link to her. :)

Raegen's had a nasty cough for a few weeks so Stacy gave me this recipe that her family uses. She has adapted it from the original version to better fit her family {dbl lemon juice and honey}

Homemade Cough Syrup

Ingredients:
3 radishes, pulverized in blender

1/4 red onion, also pulverized in blender
3 cloves of garlic, minced

3 lemons, juiced

1 cup honey

Mix all ingredients together in blender.
~
An aside...we received a blender as a wedding gift just four short years ago. I had all these dreams of making milkshakes and fruit smoothies, but truth be told it's probably been used less than ten times. It's a Hamilton Beach 450 Watt Glass-pitcher Blender. It's great for mixing water. I would say you could fluff cool whip in it too, but that may be taking it too far. I've known for sometime that we needed a new one so I asked my friend Kibs what kind she had...as she uses hers very often and it's always reliable.
She also has a glass-pitcher Hamilton Beach, but it's a 600 watt blender....and four years newer! :)
I hit the stores scouring over every minute blender detail and finally settled on this one...

It's an Oster BRLY07-Z00 1000-Watt Fusion Blender I found at Target. Though target.com does not have it listed...only the 600 watt. ?? But you could purchase it online, here. Though I would go to your nearest Target instead, because I didn't pay that much for mine! :)
PEOPLE!
We are talking 1000 watts of raw blending power, pulverizing everything in its path! It has SIX power blades. SIX, MY PEOPLE! Not four as most blenders do. I have to say I did feel as though I was channeling "Tim the Tool Man Taylor" while standing in that aisle.
"grunt, grunt, grunt!!"
More power, more better. Right?
Moving on with the recipe...
The next step is to strain and serve.
{though I would like to point out my blender "blended" so well {including a few accidental lemon seeds that fell in} that I did NOT strain at. all.}
Young children should take 1 teaspoon, three times a day
Adults may take 2 tablespoons, three times a day
Store tightly covered in the refrigerator.


I try to use plastic as little as possible so I was thrilled when I found this cute little glass turet at Wal-Mart to store the cough syrup.
Raegen makes the most awful face when he takes this, but once swallowed he smiles and says, "Eeet's yummy!"

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?