Wednesday, January 27, 2010

When daddy's away, momma will...

call up her sister and cry
"Get over here! There's work to be done!"
And, being the wonderful, amazing, always helpful sister that she is, she will!

Last week B was gone on business all week and I took that opportunity to make a mess of the house and get many projects completed before baby arrives.

Painting my cabinets has been a project on my "to-do" list for quite some time. I've had the paint and supplies for about six months, but not the courage. Not to mention, the hubs and I were disagreed on the color. I'm a fan of black cabs, and he is not...
at all!

So, in hopes of being a good, submissive, helpmate of a wife to him, I chose to walk away from the gallon of black cabinet paint. Besides, any color on my cabs would be better than this...


I started by prepping my cabs with this...
It's the lazy and dust-free way to sand. Just take a tack cloth and wax on, wax off. Ten short minutes later and you're ready to work!
Next, I grabbed my putty knife and some wood filler and got to work filling the hideous design on my cabinet and drawer fronts...

Twenty minutes and several frustrations later, I saw the true beauty in that design and chose to knix the whole idea. However, the less challenging work of filling the holes from the door handles took little to no time to complete. I simply filled the holes, let it dry, then lightly sanded. I've always disliked having the handles in the center of the door because it makes it difficult to get the door OPEN! {It may have something to do with the house being 30 years old too} Moving the hardware to the top corner is more sensible.

Next, Stacy painted the cabs white with some paint I had lying around. I'm sure you all know what white cabs look like, so no picture...and if not, use your imagination. :)
Now, for the moment I've been waiting to share.
I stumbled across a great blog last week, Shanty2Chic. If you have two or twenty hours, hop on over and take a peek...trust me, it's addicting! These two sisters have great decorating ideas and they're willing to share! One of their fave products is Ralph Lauren Faux Technique Glaze, tinted smoke. It's sold at Home Depot and the sisters seem to use it on EVERYTHING!

I made a trip to Home Depot and picked up a gallon. Before trying it on my cabs, I decided to "test" it on a few pieces I've been meaning to "update".
These pictures frames were all gold and black and ugly all over {except for the great details!}. Stacy gave them a couple coats of white paint...


And then we applied the faux glaze...

It was as easy as "wipe on, wipe off"!
Satisfied with our "test", we moved on to the vanity...


Again, simply "wipe on, wipe off"!
After it dried I replaced the hardware that I spray painted "Krylon Oil Rubbed Bronze" AND...
repositioned my cabinet handles...
I purchased this template at Lowe's...

It works on both sides of cabinet doors {top and bottom too!} and also does horizontal placement.


Simply locate the holes that align with your hardware...


mark...


and drill!


It's that easy!


I'm more than pleased with the outcome...
And thankfully so is my husband! I have plans to complete the kitchen cabs, but I do believe that will have to wait until AFTER baby arrives...there's only so much an 8 month prego can do!
I'm sooooooo grateful to my wonderful sister for helping me with this project {and NUMEROUS others I will share in the coming days}. She's one of those people that just shows up and says, "what can I do to help" and she's willing to do any and all. Let me remind you that my sister is a stay at home mom to FIVE children, three of which she homeschools. So, it's not like she's got a lot of time and ENERGY on her hands {if any!}. I don't know how she does it all AND finds time to help me, but I'm so thankful that she does! :) I'm also thankful her husband was able to keep the three oldest boys so she could come help me for two days. We were able to accomplish so much with an 8 year old, nearly 3 year old, and 8 month old...I'm not sure if we would have made it past serving breakfast had we added a 2, 4, and 7 year old to the mix! :)

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?