Friday, April 3, 2009

Gyros, Guyrows, Euros, Your-os

Last night {THURSDAY, basically, middle of the week}, because we have somehow developed a trend of eating with the old-er folk instead of the young whippersnappers, we went to dinner at Blackwood's Gyros here in town. It was mine and Raegen's first trip, B's second.
If you're like me, you're still trying to figure out how to say "gyros"...is it geerows, giross, gearow? What?!
According to Wikipedia, "Gyros or gyro (giros) (pronounced /ˈjɪəroʊ/ or /ˈdʒaɪroʊ/, Greek: γύρος , meaning "turn")"
Oh, I get it. Um, not really.
Thankfully there was a pronunciation key right there on the menu. Are you ready for it? It's pronounced "your-os". Poor B, even though it was his second trip he just couldn't spit it out correctly, asking for a "hero" instead. Wouldn't that be nice for us all.
Here's what a "your-os" looks like, in case you're like myself and have never had this experience. I meant to take a picture when the food arrived, but decided I was too hungry and it would just have to wait.
I really like that you can see my finger holding the pita bread in place. Classy touch.
Our dining experience was scrumptious...our appetizer was cheesey steak fries, need I say more? Blackwood's has been here for 17 years so I am saddened I've really been missing out on a fine dining experience.
Raegen enjoyed his dinner too. His favorite part would probably be "sneaking" fries off of daddy's plate and dipping them in daddy's ketchup. {you know it's coming so stop reading now if this will make you queasy} Then, of course, licking the ketchup off and double-dipping the fry.
As Raegen would say, "umm, umm, umm."

3 comments:

Laura said...

I am SO glad that you cleared up that little pronunciation problem! And the little man is oh-too cute with his stained ketchup face. He's my kinda man b/c I love me some ketchup...on everything!!

The Wallace Family said...

That looks delicious even partially eaten. :~) And yes, thanks for the pronunciation!

Hautemama said...

Gyros are the best! Have you ever tried Hummus - soooo good!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?