Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Trash to Treasure - Chalkboard

I was JUST telling my sister what to do with the next canvas painting she came across,
and she said,
"I have one under the bed, you can have it."
And I have to say, it's perfect!
But not so beautiful...
And probably cost some dear lady a pretty penny when purchased...this label was on the back.

Now it looks like this...
{ignore the hole in the wall...we're do-it-yourselfers and are lacking the do-it}
I've contemplated having a chalkboard wall in the playroom.
The only thing keeping me from it?
Chalk dust. blah.
Instead, we're opting for a magnet board...coming soon!
I saw the idea for a chalkboard, made from a discarded canvas painting, on a blog recently
{sorry, but I don't remember where! If it was your blog, please leave a comment so I can link you!}.
~~~
First, I bought the cheapest can of black spray paint and put two coats on the painting to work as primer. I overlapped onto the frame because I knew I would be painting it as well.
Second, I covered the canvas with newspaper and put two coats of "stone" spraypaint on the frame.
Then two coats of Valspar Chalkboard paint on the canvas...waiting 24hrs between each coat.
I bought this can at Lowe's, but noticed Home Depot sells chalkboard paint in spraypaint form. Much more cost effective for a small project.

After the final coat cured for 24hrs, I brought it in the house and put on an even coat of chalk.

The can didn't have these instructions, but it's what "they" say to do.

This reminds me why I DON'T want a chalkboard...


Here's another copy-cat idea...
{saw this phrase in her kitchen, a participant of Kelly's Show Us Where You Live Friday homes}


I decided I should hang the chalkboard higher so little fingers wouldn't be tempted.
I took it down,
went to get my hammer,
and when I returned .08 seconds later,
I saw this...

He may be little, but he's quick!

1 comments:

Kari said...

That is such a good idea!! And boy he is quick!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?