Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Senior Saints Supper

Raegen and I helped at the Senior Saints Supper at church last month. Each month they feed the seniors in the church as well as those from the community. I was amazed at all the preparation and work that goes into planning these meals each month. We met with ladies {and children!} on Thursday to prepare as much as possible. By the end of the day my feet were sore and I had learned my lesson-- next time wear better shoes!!
Raegen and the kids had a lot of fun playing together.

On Friday morning we headed to church again to finish cooking and serve the food. This time I wore some comfy shoes!
Raegen had a great time with the other kids while the moms and ladies worked.

I thought the centerpieces were too cute...

Isn't that a great idea? You could use it at a child's birthday party or a fall festival.

We made food, food, and more food! I was truly amazed at all the food that was made...and better yet, from scratch!! Here are the 40 something stuffed bell peppers that were prepared...


There was smoked sirloin, salad, pasta, vegetable medley, mashed potatoes {from REAL potatoes, not a box! :)}, gravy, rolls, and on and on and on...


And of course, my fave, desserts!!


We really had a lot of fun and we're looking forward to this month's supper.
For those of you wondering new church? old church? What is she talking about? Let me briefly explain. In May Billy and I both felt the Lord calling us to leave our church, our home, our safe haven. Billy had attended church there for ten years and I was just behind him with seven. This was no easy request and we didn't take it lightly. We prayed and prayed about the decision and did not have a peace about staying where we were. This wasn't the first time we'd been down this road, only the last time the Lord wanted to know if we were willing, which we were, and at that time nothing changed for us. That calling we had felt left, and we felt at peace staying where we were.
This time was different. We felt the calling. We prayed about it. And this time it didn't leave. We met with our pastor and afterwards met with several close friends in the church. We wanted them to hear it from us first that we were no longer members and would be searching for a new church home. It was not an easy decision and it came with a lot of tears, from both sides. But the important thing is, we were not leaving those families and friends, we were leaving that building. There was nothing that would prevent us from continuing those relationships outside of church.
We hold very conservative beliefs and I have to admit I was worried we would find a church of like belief. I'm not sure why I doubted, as it was the Lord calling us to leave our home and it would only make sense that He already had a place in mind. And indeed He did.
We had no idea where to start. The phonebook? Remarkably as we shared with others our hunt for a new church home, only one church was ever suggested by others...and I believe it was suggested by about four different people!
It was just our luck that the day we visited this church was having their 127th Homecoming. I noticed it on the marquee as we drove up. I quickly covered my face and told Billy the bad news...what a terrible day to visit! We were hoping to get a feel for who they were and what they stood for...experience Sunday School, worship, etc. Instead, they were having a special all-day service and Sunday night services had even been cancelled.
Boy was I wrong. By the time we left that afternoon there was not a doubt in our mind what they stood for, what they stood against, and where they were headed. We were blown away.
Despite our good visit, we felt the need to continue to "explore" other churches. We wanted to make sure we settled where the Lord wanted us and not where we wanted. In all, we visited four different churches. We prayed diligently and kept feeling drawn to that first church we visited. It felt nice to not question where they stood or where they were headed. We joined the first weekend in July and it has been nice to have that burden lifted. We know we are where the Lord wants us to be and there's no greater feeling.
We are still friends with our old church family and actually see many of them more often than we did when we were church members together. It's as if we have made a conscious effort to strengthen our friendship. More than anything we are delighted that several teens still spend their Sunday afternoons with us. I'm still not sure if it's the fudgy brownies, the big screen tv with all the latest and greatest ballgames, or Raegen that draws them in, but it doesn't matter to me!

blog comments powered by Disqus
Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?