Thursday, October 16, 2008

Anticipation

Our annual trip to the Arkansas State Fair is this Saturday, October 18th. I've been anticipating it for months. Last year we did not attend because dad had a heart attack and was in the hospital at the time. I have attended the Arkansas State Fair since I was born....well, almost! I dug around and found these photos from the 1984 Arkansas State Fair....I was 3 1/2 and Stacy was 5. As you can see, we attend "rain or shine"!


Despite my young age, I do remember this particular trip. Mostly because of the red raincoats. That sticks out in my mind the most...they had wooden buttons. And of course the fun rides!


Story of my life...Stacy in the driver's seat!


Dad's always taken his FFA groups to the fair and rodeo. The night before the fair I couldn't sleep, I was too anxious for morning to come! In the wee hours of the morning we would ride over to the school with dad so he could load the kids on the bus. Most of the time we would pick mom up at the bank as we came through town headed for Little Rock. Oh the stories I could share, but I'll spare you! :)



One highlight of the trip was stopping at McDonald's in Cabot for breakfast on the way down. It was pretty much the only time we ever ate at McDonald's! I remember one time I caught a few girls smoking in the bathroom!!


Another treat was candy! Dad always brought a sack full of candy and would throw it to the kids...peanut butter logs, bubble gum, tootsie rolls...yummy!


And of course no fair trip is complete without a rodeo. I've seen many a country star at the State Fair Rodeo...Charlie Daniels, Tanya Tucker....pardon, I don't mean to name drop. ha!


I hope to carry this tradition on for Raegen. I'll definitely post pics of our trip and maybe I can dig up some more "past fair pics". :)

4 comments:

Jeff and Kibbie said...

Wow, does Raegen look like your little kid pictures or what?!?!

The Stain Family said...

haha! He REALLY looked like them when he was less than 12months! Mom called us "Campbell's Soup Kids" because we were all chubby (the healthy chubby, of course!). ha. It's funny that you say he resembles me b/c my mom and dad call him "little Billy". I think he does favor Billy, but not Billy's baby pics.

Rachel said...

I think Raegen looks like you from these pics. Great pics,,,love the memories! I've NEVER been to the State Fair,,,can you believe it?

The Stain Family said...

Oh girl! Don't say it's so! It's a date! Next year we'll take the boys...they'll have a blast! Pencil in "state fair" on your Oct. '09 calendar....generally the 2nd thru 3rd wknd. It's just too much fun to miss! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sign my Guestbook!

Sugar and Spice or Snakes and Snails?

Poll has closed. It's a BOY!!!

Take the poll located on the right side of the screen. Will we be having another baby boy or a baby girl? What do you think?

If it's any help, I haven't had any dreams {like I did with Raegen, dreaming I was having a boy} and I just don't have that "feeling" with this baby. I did have severe morning sickness that lasted through week 15, quite unlike my mild morning sickness that ended at week 12 with Raegen. That info may help or confuse you more! I'm anxious to see what everyone else thinks we're having.


Is baby #3 a boy or a girl?